What is kharcho soup? This is a national soup and a real pride of Georgian cuisine. The basis of kharcho is a rich beef broth, for which you will need 2 kg of beef brisket. Here is the recipe for the classic Georgian kharcho soup – a hearty and aromatic soup from the national Georgian cuisine.
Ingredients for 20 servings:
- beef brisket with fat – 2 kg
- rice – 150 g
- onions – 1 kg
- tomato paste – 100 g
- ripe pink tomatoes – 1 kg
- bay leaves – 3 pcs.
- black peppercorns, fresh red pepper, salt – to taste
- sunflower oil – 200 ml
- broth in which beef was cooked – 3 l
- parsley, cilantro, celery leaves – 100 g
- garlic, grated on a fine grater – 20-30 g
- utskho suneli (blue fenugreek) – 1 tsp.
- hops-cilantro (ground coriander) – 2 tsp.
- kondari (savory) – 1 tsp.
- Boil the brisket, skimming off the foam. Strain the broth well.
- Fry the onions until golden brown in vegetable oil in a deep saucepan.
- Add the tomato paste and fry for 2 minutes over high heat, stirring constantly.
- Add boiled brisket, simmer for 5 minutes over medium heat and add chopped peeled tomatoes. Put out a few minutes.
- Add broth, bring to a boil, add rice and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add spices, salt, pepper, some herbs and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add remaining herbs, salt and garlic, reduce heat and cook for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cooked soup from the heat and let it brew for a couple of hours.