Honey cake is a sweet, hearty and tasty cake that is adored in Russia. It is prepared at home for the holidays or ordered in cafes and restaurants as a traditional dessert. Below you will find a recipe for a large honey cake, which is offered to guests at the Saperavi Cafe (Georgian restaurant in Moscow).
Big Honey Cake Recipe
Ingredients for a 1.2 kg honey cake:
- flour – 300 g
- sugar – 60 g
- egg – 1 pc.
- butter – 80 g
- honey – 3 tbsp.
- soda – 0.5 tbsp
- sour cream 20% – 380 g
- cream 33% – 160 g
- icing sugar – 100 g
- Prepare the base of the dough in a water bath: melt butter, sugar and honey, stirring occasionally. Cool down.
- Beat the egg, stirring with soda quenched with vinegar. Stir constantly, add the beaten egg to the butter melted with honey.
- Pour the sifted flour into the egg-honey mixture in portions. Knead the dough.
- Divide it into 8 equal parts (according to the number of cakes), roll each into a ball and then roll it into a thin layer. Cut round cakes from the rolled out dough layers.
- Bake the cakes in the oven preheated to 200ᴼC for 2-3 minutes.
- Whip the cream with the icing sugar, add the sour cream and stir with the wreath.
- Smear the cooled cakes with cream, be sure to cover the sides.
- Put the cake in the refrigerator for 8-10 hours to soak well.